Friday 1 April 2011

Feed back from Kate Usher

Kate Usher is a wallpaper and bespoke/freelance surface pattern designer who I have previously interviewed about her inspirations and thoughts. I also asked if I could send her some of my designs for feed back, which she agreed to. Her response is below:

Hi Samantha,

I'm sorry I didn't reply today I've been a little busy. Thanks for sending through your designs. I have tried to give you some constructive criticism here and I hope it helps!

What sort of repeat structure have you used on these? I think the general concept and motifs are very nice, I like the close-up shot where you can actually make out the letters, but I'm not so sure it works on a smaller scale, its too difficult to see what it is and just looks like a ditsy pattern. I also think the colours might need some attention, I cant envisage this palette working well as an interior, for example as curtain fabric or covering walls, as its a little too jarring. However it just depends on where you have taken your inspiration from, this sort of colour palette would not look out of place on African or ethnic textiles. Design 2 is very nice and probably my favourite but again the colours are a little off-putting.

I hope I haven't criticised you too heavily, I just feel its always helpful to hear an honest opinion from someone impartial. Overall the collection gels together quite well. Good luck with your project, do keep in touch.

Best Wishes

Kate
Design 1
Design 2
Design 3
Design 4
Design 5
Design 6