Thursday 22 September 2011

Knitting

Within my concept of textures and surfaces I used my photographs of distressed paint and wood. I have produced a selection of knitted samples using a variety of different materials such as: plastic, tissue paper and metals. When using these materials I wanted to create a raised surface that represents my photographs of wood. In my opinion I think I have achieved my outcome of experimenting with different items with the process of Knitting I found myself a bit stuck because I wanted to produced large scale work and the knitting technique I had been doing is very small and would take me a long time to get the large scale I would want for interiors.






Enlarged Knitting Needles









By working with normal knitting needles with a variety of different materials I want to go bigger and produce large knits instead of the small ones that I felt like I had exhausted. My tutor mentioned to me about larger knitting needles. However, I didn’t realize how big they would actually be and because they were so large my materials I used had to become large as well. Therefore, I began using some rope and enlarged tape. As you can see from my photographs above, I have taken photos of the process and the final outcome. Reflecting back on this processes, I did have trouble maneuvering the needles at the same at the beginning but once I got use to the them I found it more enjoyable to use as the results are far more interesting and unexpected.

Reflecting back on my time knitting, I would like to carry on using the larger knitting needles rather than the smaller ones as the end result interests me more and would like to carry on developing and experimenting with the different materials