Monday 27 February 2012

Jennifer Collier




Jennifer Collier is a textiles designer who primarily works with paper by creating non functional items. She gave a talk about her work, inspirations and how she has prompted her work. I was exceptionally excited by this talk as I have admired her work for a while. Her work is primarily focused on the use of paper and how she can turn someone’s old pieces of paper into art work in unconventional and unique processes that express and old vintage look.

Jennifer creates non practical items such as dresses made out of paper with the use of trapping several objects such as flowers, beads using teabags. She has also experiment by expand on the dresses and has made stilettos that she mentions where very popular and describes the way she uses paper to make this objects has self explanatory and by the written words on the paper she uses has a communication with the public because people can connect with the information.

However, she goes on to discuss that she wanted to expand on dresses because they became a lot of competition than when she first started 9 years ago and began to experiment with the re making household items, where she started to make typewriters, sewing machines, hovers and varies other household items with the use of paper.
I was very interested within her household items as I am mainly fixed on interiors myself and she has given me a wide range of ideas that I can develop in my own style.