Sunday 2 October 2011

Dye Tye

As you can see below I have experimented with the process dyeing, I choose this process because of the unreliability and the not knowing what to expected with each sample. The colours I used were: Yellow, Red, and Blue as I was influenced by Lucienne Day's 1950s colour palette and the way she uses a variety of materials, in order to get a diverse range of shapes. For example I have used string and elastic bands and played about with rolling the material up, tying sting randomly long the rolled up pieces of material, scrunching the fabric up and using buttons that were wrapped up in the material. I used both a mixture of light and heavy weight cotton and realizing that the lightweight cotton fabric was easier to dye, whether as the heavier weight cotton fabric was more defined and enhanced the shapes and texture.

During my experimentation with different colours, I wanted to combine a variety of colours together, therefore, I began to dip the same fabric in a selection of different colour's for a few minutes each to observe what would happen.









On the other hand, once I screen printed I deliberated about experimenting with my screen printing on the tie dyed fabric to see what would happen, I used black purposely so the detail would be more striking. I was surprised by the results of the combination of both of these processes as it has created a unique and exhilarating outcome.






Reflecting back on my experience, I found the process demanding with the distinctive times and altered tones which can be created. However, as this was a trial and era session, I tried to do as many diverse samples as I could to get a better knowledge for the future. If I had to change anything about this process I would change the colours slightly as I required the colours be darker