Tuesday 4 October 2011

Screen Printing

By using my dissolvable fabric I did previously, I find the outcome of the texture engaging and exciting. Therefore, by using the texture as template I printed on different types of papers and fabrics to see what effects would come across. After experimenting with scale using the photocopier until I find the right scale I wanted to print.

I chose the colours for my prints because I was inspired by 1950's style:Lucienne Day's and Saul Bass's colour palette which were warm, dull colours: Brown, Black, Yellow and Red. I have used both light and heavy weighted cotton fabrics, starting
off using more than one colour, though I decided to combine more than one colour, but felt that more than two colours would be overwhelming.

In my opinion, I would change the red as it was pinker than I expected and I would make the brown and yellow darker to stay in theme with Lucienne Day's style. I discovered that printing on to heavier fabrics made the lines and texture more defined rather than the light weighted fabric. On the other hand, these samples came out better than I imagined and the texture is exactly what I wanted achieve.







Discharge


Using my design from sceen printing I wanted to experiment with differnt texhniques using my design on my screen, so i thought that dicharge wouldbe an usual texhnique because it bleaches the pattern out on dark fabrics the white space is the pattern. I find this gave a constrast to the rest of my designs and creates the textured approach I wanted