Sunday 9 October 2011

Liverpool design week

On the 9th October I attended the Liverpool Design Show at the St. Georges Hall, opening times were from 10am till 6pm. On arrive to the trade show I was equally excited and nerves as this was my first design show experience So I didn’t know what to expected or what was expected of me. When I first arrived in the hall they were around 40 stalls layout out in 4 rows. I was both inspired by the variety of stalls but also overwhelmed.I collected both primary and secondary research where I collected business cards and leaflets and talked to designers about their work. The designer that first caught my eye was; Alexia Claire, she is a surface designer who produces modern storage including fabric baskets and bags screen printed in her own hand printed designs sourcing vintage and up cycle materials for a new use.
I found her work quirky and fun.




Lesley Lister was another designers I was inspired by with her range of knitted lampshades made from paper, wire and silver yarn in response to natural structures for inspiration. She was particular interesting because of her use of unusual materials that she used for knitting which she covering large items and almost breaking the conventional produce of knitting. I found most intriguing by your experimentation approach, which I instantly contact to.



Ella Louis Designs were a stall that showcases abstract printed textiles by using a variety of screens and digital prints, which they transforms into soft furnishing. I was influenced by her because of your unconventional and non traditional approach to do something different and exciting.




Reflecting on my time at Liverpool Design Show, I was inspired by many of the stalls and came away with many ideas for my own work. I have also contacted several designs for interview and feedback about my work, which I am very excited about.