Tuesday 29 November 2011

Proflio Visit - Victoria Picon

I original met Victoria Picon at the Liverpool design show and was instantly stunned by her experimental approach. She is a designer who primarily experiments with the technique’s of looming. During my visit to her stall is the one I remember due to the variety of one off pieces such as: scarf’s, bags and clothes. However, even though her work is not about interiors or upholstery, I was influenced to use her technique. I was also was impressed by her display and how she has a number of photographs demonstrating her loom as well as leaflet and business card held together by a clothes peg that was weaved. Unfortunately I only talked to her briefly about her work, as she was far too busy. yet, she was happy enough to give me feedback about my portfolio. As she lived quite far, we arranged that I would send her my work via email, she responded:

'I think your work is very interesting. What I can understand looking your pictures is that you work with textures of urban sites and represent them in the designs you create.
The photographs of the painted walls make me think of the layers of paint. These are covering one after another of the old paint and have completely changed the space they contain. Perhaps, and only as a suggestion, it would be interesting to work with this concept of cover-recover in your designs, not just colors, but it textures and styles (imagine a chair has been upholstered and the time shows the older styles that was covered in the past)
Well, these are just basic ideas that come to my mind looking at your work.'


In reflection to her feedback, I do agree by what she says about adding additional layers and definition of textures to completely symbolize urban textures.