Monday 19 December 2011

Hopes, Fears and Opportunities

I have been asked to reflect on my progress through this semester by identifying areas of improvement and what I would like to achieve after my degree. After leaving university I want to be successful within my field of surface design, specifically interiors, by doing freelance and working towards opening my own shop and developing my own brand. In order to do this I will do internships and volunteer working to build my knowledge and experience of the design world, to enable me to continue to explore and discover new elements by creating one off exciting pieces that will combine technology and design.
However, I have several fears, mainly concerned with my literacy, as my strengths are generally verbal. I also have issues by the fact people might not understand my ideas and I will have knock backs resulting in becoming less motivated. Mentioning this I will have to concentrate on my weakness as well as my strengths within surface design is not let my fears hold me back by doing this I began writing a list to specify identify what my strengths are, for example, I feel I am a good communicator within small amount of people but I have a lack of confidence talking to larger groups. Nevertheless, my strengths in my opinion are experimental approaches as I want to push the boundaries. This is the same for composition, layout as I want to experiment and play around with different styles and techniques. However, I feel my weakness our, my organization skills including time management, as I under estimate how long a process will take which results in me having to rush around with a small amount of time. Another aspect is being easily distracted which also effects my time management or not accepting constructive feedback or not interacting with other designs through trade shows, interviews, gallery visits and portfolio Visits. With my improvements I will be developing my work by making my designs more complicated and detailed and less simple to create a more interesting and unique approach. However, in the past I have struggled with this by the fact that I have overwhelmed the page. I also want to be more outgoing and adventurous with my work and combine more technology with interiors to what we are normally used to look at. For example; Chris Leftei is a designer I admire by the way he combines technology and the design process to creative stunning pieces. However, his thought process is think about design and not how technology limits him, he simply thinks of an idea and works towards that idea regardless of the technology process, this to me is how great design is made by not thinking about your limits and think bigger.
By reflecting on my weakness, strengths, fears, hope’s and improves. I would like to improve and develop myself further to become a great designer. By doing this I will be more internships, volunteer work and putting myself and designs within the world