Monday 19 December 2011

Rag Doll – Portfolio Visit

I was first introduced to the company while looking for work experience. Rag Doll specializes in interiors, upholstery and designing. As they gave me a work experience position, they were interested in seeing my portfolio. Therefore, I thought it would be a good opportunity to show my current work and see whether or not they would consider selling my interior items within their store.
In this visit I was equally nerves and excited, as they were a well-established company who was given me a chance to work for them. I was particular concerned about my feedback about the technical side to my finish, so I brought in all my finished pieces as I thought she could give me true opinion on how I could improve or change anything. Her reaction was positive and she was very surprised but intrigued as she observed that she didn’t expect my work to have an abstract theme that reminds her of the 1950’s style. She was specifically attracted in my patchwork cushion because she likes the contrast of the plain calico and patchwork which was a combination of all different screen prints and how is a bold cushion. She did state that my stool was very experimental and intriguing and that the cushion could be a more 3 dimensional. Nevertheless she was find my work fascinating and said that my works well as a collection and that I have responded well to my theme of distressed paint work in a very organic and delicate way. Also that my use of neutral colours was not overwhelming.
Overall she noted that my collection was successful and that she would consider selling my items in her store. She also said that I should consider selling things online maybe through Esty.