Monday 19 December 2011

Karen little - portfolio Visit

I first met Karen little on my second year in my degree where she gave our class a lecture about how to break into the surface design and talks about the different trade shows where we could present our work. However, she also gave tutorials about how we could improve are work individual and what the design industry is looking for. Still, she has agreed to give me another portfolio visit for my current project of distressed paintwork.
I presented a combination of both my digital prints and my upholstered stool and cushions, so she can see what works well together. She describes my work as very organic with an abstracted twist in a 1950/60’s style. She stated that my digital prints, stool and cushions would sell towards young, urban and trendy market.
She explains that the stool and cushion was very attention-grabbing. Yet she would have preferred that the cushions were as interesting and experimental as the stool. Overall she liked my collection, but was particular fascinated with my digital prints as they were simple but attractive and she liked the large prints that would works well as a feature wall, that would appeal to a younger market. She indicates that my colour palette has improved and that the colours don’t seem as harsh as in previous designs and that she could see my prints selling. However, she indicated that maybe my prints in my portfolio could be bigger to see the image clearer and start printing my pattern on fabric to show another aspect to my portfolio. Nevertheless, I do agree with her comments and